Did you need to get a new door for your house? Don’t throw out that old one just yet!
Have you ever thought of an old door as something you can upcycle? If you haven’t, prepare to be inspired by the thought of turning old doors into tables after reading this post.
Whether a coffee table, a dining table, a picnic table, or a DIY desk for your home office there are many different ways you can transform a door into something new.
Sometimes a quality door outlasts the structure it once called home such as an old barn door.
Other times, some doors are no longer functional as a door but can easily be used for something else such as a table top.
With just a few tools, some table legs, and some elbow grease, you can turn that door into your own custom table.
Can you turn a door into a table?
Yes, and turning a door into a table is a fairly easy project. It’s a great way to give old things a new life. And the best part is avoiding the price tag of a new table.
Turning a door into a table is fairly simple and mostly consists of adding on (premade) legs and a glass top or acrylic top.
Additionally, you can add a coat of paint or two or add other decorative elements.
Best places to find old doors
If you love the rustic charm of tables made from old doors but you don’t actually have one yourself, you could rescue one from an uncertain fate! Here are some places to look:
- Facebook marketplace
- Garage sales
- Thrift stores
- Flea markets
- Estate sales
- Antique store
Things to decide before starting your door table DIY Project
You’ll want to determine a few things such as:
- the desired height of the table;
- how you want the finished look to appear (polished, smooth surface, or an unfinished, rustic look);
- if your door has panels do you need a glass top to make it level or can you live with parts of the table top being higher than others (sometimes this can work well for a coffee table for example)
Possible tools and supplies needed for your door table DIY
This isn’t a complete list nor do you need all of these items for every door-to-table DIY project.
It will depend completely on which tutorial you follow, the type of door you’re repurposing, and the kind of table you’re building.
- Miter saw
- Wood glue
- Kreg jig (easily creates pocket holes)
- Pocket hole screws
- Wood screws
- Wood filler
- Circular saw
- Table base (hairpin legs, pipe legs)
- Nail gun
- Painter’s tape
Turning Old Doors into Tables
Other creative ideas for repurposing old doors
You can make a smaller version of any of the above with cabinet door panels.
There are lots of different options for repurposing old doors and not all of them involve tables.
Here are a few other innovative ideas:
- Hall Tree
- Garden Arch
- Porch Swing
- Corner Shelf
- Room Divider
Looking for even more upcycled furniture ideas? Here are some great tutorials and inspiration for all different kinds of furniture ideas, not just tables.
- How to Upcycle a Chest of Drawers – the ‘Pink Lady’
- How to Upcycle a Cot Bed into a Garden Bench
- 13 Fun Ideas for Upcycling Old Chairs
- How to Upcycle a Vintage Buffet – Graphite & Gold
- How to Upcycle a Bureau into an Art Deco Drinks Cabinet
- How to Upcycle a Velour Armchair – Using Paint
- How to Upcycle a Dressing Table: An Art Deco Style Makeover
- 47 Upcycled Planter Ideas that are Easy to Make
Have you transformed an old door into a table? I’d love to hear about it in the comments!
New to upcycling? Check out this post that explains it all!: